• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Friday, May 04, 2007

    Taking the "liberal" out of liberal arts

    Not to mention the "liberty" out of "Liberty University". Just for the jaw-drop factor, you gotta read Zuska's post about the rider she attached to her bar application -- and the reasons behind it. It made me realize how protected I was (in a fairly progressive cacoon) growing up that I had no idea that such lifestyles, places and people existed in this day and age, or the recent past.

    In college, I was fairly straight-laced. In fact, for junior and senior years, I was a "preceptor" (Rutgers' equivalent to an "RA" or "resident assistant") in the on-campus apartments. The worst I had to do was break up parties and respond to noise complaints. But still, I was one of the student "cops", as it were. Which made me both cool (because everyone knew me) but also an annoyance. Most of all, it just gave me the opportunity to get a guaranteed apartment (because housing was and still is short at RU, so every year we had a lottery to see if we could live on-campus) and free room/board (in return for working for the Office of Residence Life). Oh, and a free t-shirt from the orientation. And I also met a boyfriend that way... but I digress.

    Of course, RU is a state school, so many of the rules are more relaxed than at private institutions. But the stuff Zuska mentions as being infractions at her university? Holy crap. I can't even imagine such oppression (and yes, that is how I'd characterize it). I also can't imagine being the one who has to write someone up for not dusting the dresser. Hell, I can't imagine doing that dusting. Not just once in a while, but at all. And caring enough to measure a student's skirt? Yeah, no.

    So, thanks, Z. That was an education. A peek into a world I have never experienced.

    Labels:

    eXTReMe Tracker