• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Tuesday, May 01, 2007

    Happy Law Day everyone!

    And thanks to Scooter for the felicitations -- and heads up!

    Here's a little history of Law Day, as per Wikipedia:
    It was first proposed in the 1950s by the American Bar Association, and President Dwight D. Eisenhower proclaimed May 1 Law Day, U.S.A. in 1958.[1] Its observance was later codified into law by Public Law 87-20 on April 7, 1961.[2]

    In contrast, most countries celebrate May Day on the same date, as it is designated International Workers Day. Law Day, U.S.A., along with Loyalty Day, was created to discourage celebration of May Day, a perceived communist holiday.
    I have to admit that I find it amusing that Law Day (very American-soundimg) is also May Day (very communist-sounding) and Lei Day (very fun-sounding anyway you think about it), as well as a whole host of other observances.

    Well, whatever the celebration, I hope you have a great May 1st!

    Labels: ,

    eXTReMe Tracker