• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Monday, March 27, 2006

    Two steps forward, one step back.

    That’s what it feels like looking for a fall “I’m a freshly-minted law grad” job in late March when you graduated in February. Progress is hard fought and without much momentum.

    I thought I had some momentum and a great opportunity last week. A legal fellowship for public interest work. It seemed like a perfect fit, and based on the call I got, I was very, very excited about my prospects. Well, the interview was Thursday, and it felt like a gi-normous waste of my time.

    Why?

    Well, first of all, the woman kept me waiting for the interview. Not too long, not a huge deal, but also not an auspicious beginning. I waited patiently. But then, she wasn’t even prepared for the interview; she didn’t have my resume or remember anything about why she asked me to come in. She was all over the place. Fortunately, I had copies of my resume with me, so I didn’t have to repeat all my credentials.

    Then Madame-interviewer asked me a series of questions to test my imagination and understanding of the law. Ummm, legal questions for an intake interview for a fellowship?!? Okay, I guess that’s fair game – especially if she was trying to examine my analytical skills – but that’s a pretty tough way to conduct an interview with a newbie law grad. Talk about sweating it. I think I gave a reasonable answer, but I don’t think it was what she was looking for. Oh well.

    But the part that really annoyed me is that after all of these questions, she asked me if I had any for her. Well, considering that she didn’t even describe her expectations for the fellowship or how it would work in the organization, I had a few. I started out by asking her what qualities she was looking for in a fellow.

    Her answer? “Smart, good writer.”

    Yeah. Okay, like anyone really wants dumb, poor writers for legal jobs or for any job? Non-responsive, babe. So, I tried going at the question from another angle and asked what has made past fellows successful.

    Her answer? “Smart and good writers.”

    Okaaaaaaaaay. Well, then. Sensing a pattern here? I pushed it yet again and commented that I imagined that the organization was undoubtedly receiving a number a highly competent, well-qualified applications for the fellowship, so there must be some factor for distinguishing among them…

    Her answer? “You know it when you see it.” Or something along those lines.

    Give me a freaking break. I have been on enough interviews in my career to know this was a load of crap. Interviews are an opportunity to develop a rapport – to see whether I was what they wanted and whether this was a position I wanted. If I didn’t have the credentials, I wouldn’t have made it in the door in the first place. But as much as I was willing to explore the possibility of whether the fellowship was a good fit both ways, she gave me nothing. Zip, zero, zilch.

    I don’t usually have any problems chatting easily with anyone, but she just gave off this vibe of complete disinterest and towards the end, was practically dismissive. Doesn’t she realize that I’m interviewing her as much as she is interviewing me? At least fake some interest in me, woman! It’s only an hour! I’m giving you my valuable time!

    I was so put off by her whole manner – so disrespectful to waste my time that way. I walked out of that interview really annoyed. And I don’t even want the fellowship now. Really bad taste in my mouth.

    So, that was Thursday.

    On Friday, I got some good news. My current boss walked into my office and sua sponte gave me a raise. He said it was in recognition of my graduation from law school (a month and a half ago, but I’ll take it), because he had only heard good things about my work, and because I was willing to work more hours (the job was part-time).

    Yay. That was very flattering, and I told him as much. Then I asked him for benefits. Accrual of vacation time and holiday pay? Well, the firm isn’t willing to make me a full-time employee with full benefits, but he is willing to consider personal time off and holidays. Since I don’t need health insurance YET and don’t plan on being there long enough to vest in a retirement plan, I’d be happy with the personal time/holiday pay. It’s not much to ask for, so we’ll see what they say…

    He also broached the possibility, much caveated, of perhaps being brought on as a staff attorney once I pass the bar. Well, I dunno if I passed the bar, but I did appreciate his throwing the bone my way.

    So, two pieces of positive news from my current law clerk job. One really annoying outcome on the job search.

    Two steps forward. One step back. But all in all, forward progress.

    eXTReMe Tracker