• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Monday, March 27, 2006

    This is for you, Scooter

    One of the many, many things I collect ("collection" sounds better than "piles of junk", doesn't it?) is political memorabilia of Asian American elected and appointed officials. Signatures, campaign buttons, cards, photographs, etc. Scooter asked about my collection, so here is some of it.

    The first is a picture from the Clinton administration -- the President and his Asian American appointees. I got it signed by WJC and a number of the appointees, too. How? I know many of them through my former job. Not Mr. Bill himself, but I know someone who... well, you know. It's DC after all.

    The second picture is a scan of a handful of business cards of Asian American politicans (and one notable exception), signed by them personally. In this collection, Patsy Mink is rather cherished since she passed a few years ago -- and since she was a first in so many important ways.

    I also have several more -- from local pols and cards from others positions these folks have held (e.g., The Honorable Norman Mineta, Member of Congress). It's a decent collection, and I am always looking to expand it. As you might imagine, I am shameless about asking.

    Last but not least is a scan of four campaign buttons. I have maybe a dozen different ones, so this is just a sample. Pols don't make campaign buttons any more -- usually you get stickers -- so these buttons are getting harder and harder to come by. Ebay has become my friend for this. That's how I got the "Mineta for Mayor" button, a prize in my collection.

    You may notice that there aren't many Republicans among this bunch, but the reality is that most of the Asian American politicians on the national level have been and are Democrats. The only two Republicans I have are Senator Hiram Fong (R-HI) and Senator S.I. Hayakawa (R-CA). I'd be more than happy to expand this with a signed business card from Secretary Elaine Chao or a button from Representative Bobby Jindal (R-LA)... anyone got one?

    (but I do have this mug... and what a mug it is!)










    How's that Scooter?

    eXTReMe Tracker