• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Monday, October 16, 2006

    It's a girl!

    We've adopted a pooch into our home. And she's a girl after my own heart: highly motivated by food, always putting her body in your lap, likes to sleep, won't listen to anyone. Just like me.

    We picked her up on Sunday from the most beautiful rescue facility I've ever visited (and we've seen quite a few recently) -- the Washington Animal Rescue League. They take good care of their animals, and we were glad to make room for one more there.

    And, notice, just one pooch. The application for the other adoption didn't go through. I guess we're unfit. Too bad. Actually, I don't know what the deal was. That rescue never even bothered to respond to our email, so I am not impressed.

    Our new girl is an adult, about 5 years old. We think she's a Beagle/Daschaund mix with the doxie color and head but the Beagle body (longer legs and a bit broader). She weighs about 28 lbs., mostly because she's sturdy, not so tall. She's very, very active and needs some training on the leash as well as the crate. But she doesn't really bark and seems to be very trainable. And she loves to cuddle (high level of separation anxiety), so we smell very poochy now. I don't remember my other dog being smelly this way, but the shelter said that she had a skin irritation, so that may be why. Hopefully, it will go away with a few treatments 'cuz she really is stanky!

    But cute and sweet.

    So Ladies and Gents... introducing our super happy, lively new girl.
    Gidget! (formerly known as Katie)

    And yes, we may still adopt again in a few months to find her a pal to keep her company. Can you guess what we'll name pooch #2?

    (If you guessed "Moondoggy", you got it right! Groovy, dude!)

    eXTReMe Tracker