• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Tuesday, October 03, 2006

    Now I ask you...

    Is it really all that wrong to have coffee and a candy bar for breakfast? It worked for me. My fave forms of caffeine all together in bundle of happy! But don't tell my mom!

    Anyway...

    So I had the interview at the temp agency. I was a little off my game because I hadn't actually had my coffee then, but I don't think it mattered to them.

    It was interesting to learn a bit more about the temp game.

    First, I am registering with several firms, both large and small. Today was the small firm. They have a smaller registry of clients, but they also can make more personalized recommendations. I think they'll do a better job "selling" me with a personal touch because I'm not just another attorney in their database. Plus, two of the clients where they may try and place me were big (I mean huge) names, so they do get some good business.

    Also, they kept raving -- and I mean practically jumping up and down -- about my credentials. That really helped to prop me up after all the bad news I've had lately. My ego needed that. They were very excited about me, and I was introduced to all of the principals in the agency (all three of them) who just beamed at my resume. It was very reassuring to hear that I should be marketable.

    But all of the enthusiasm made me wonder what kind of attorneys they usually have coming in the door looking for work. Who is the legal temp workforce? So I asked about it. I asked the woman I'm working with if she would tell me if she thought my credentials weren't impressive. She said that she would; that they often get law school grads who have taken the bar many times but not yet passed or who don't have very good GPAs from so-so schools; and that they don't even call in to interview a significant number of applicants who send resumes.

    Interesting.

    So, I hope this means that they'll be eager to get my credentials "on the street" as it were. The more people I have working on my behalf, touting my wonderful qualities and looking to get me a job, the better.

    And even better to get a paycheck. So we'll see.

    Another temp agency interview on Friday. This is a much larger agency, so it will make for an interesting comparison.

    eXTReMe Tracker