• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Monday, October 02, 2006

    Verdict #2 (for last week)

    The photo was taken at Pololu Valley, Hawai`i (the Big Island) -- the north shore. I was there in 2004. Basically, you drive to the end of this narrow road where there is parking for maybe half a dozen cars. From there, there is a steep footpath that takes you down, down, down to the beach below.

    The hike down looks a bit intimidating, but it's so worth it to see the black sand and the pristine views along the way.



    This was the first vacation I have ever taken by myself that involved driving around. Usually, I fly into one place and out of another and travel in between by plane, train and bus. I almost never do a circuit (in and out of the same airport) and rent a car. But basically, this is the only way to easily get around on the Big Island. It was a solitary, driving vacation, but it gave me lots of time to think. And even though it was not my typical vacation, I really enjoyed it.

    I mean, who wouldn't enjoy being in Hawai`i?

    One of the highlights of that particular trip was hiking up to see the lava floes at night. It was spectacular. And this suburban/city girl has never seen so many stars as were visible that night in the darkness and nature on Hawai`i. The memories of both are so vivid. Too bad I couldn't take pictures of either to share, though.

    So if you have the chance to get to Hawai`i, try to get beyond the touristy spots. Some truly spectacular vistas await.

    eXTReMe Tracker