• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Thursday, September 28, 2006

    Whiplash

    Remember how I said that I don't have any interview horror stories? Well, I do now.

    This morning.

    I had had good feeling about this interview. I had expected things to go well. I was wrong. In fact, I couldn't have been more wrong.

    The interview began with the guy saying, "I look at your resume and I see a quivering legs, knee-jerk liberal." To which I immediately responded, "My legs don't quiver."

    And thus it started. He proceeded to tell me that he was George Bush's A-#1 fan and proud of it, etc., etc., etc. Those were his politics, and he didn't believe in words like "diversity" or "affirmative action." Also, that the principal of his daughter's elementary school said that she was a student "of color" and he ripped the principal a new one. He basically said that he was vehemently opposed to everything I believed in and trashed the principles that are important to me.

    Okaaaaay. Good start to an interview, eh?

    But I didn't get ruffled. I listened. He did most of the talking. Asked me a few questions here and there. Blah, blah, blah... Made it clear that he was all about the almighty buck and that he didn't give a damn about "causes"; he practiced law, no matter what side his client was on.

    And it went on like that for a while. Really abrasive. Really close-minded.

    But the kicker is that at the end of the interview, he said to me, "I can tell that you and I wouldn't get along."

    To which I responded, "Well, work is work. Personal is personal."

    He said, "No. Not in an office this small."

    So I said, "I guess that means I have an answer."

    He said, "You do."

    I said, "Then I don't see any point in continuing this conversation. Thank you for your time." (But I really wanted to ask why he bothered wasting both of our time when he had already judged me.)

    And I left.

    So basically, he decided he didn't like me and said as much. That is a first for me. I've never had someone say to my face that they didn't like me during an interview.

    I guess it's better to have someone choose not to hire me for personality reasons than because they consider my work product inferior -- but I'd rather have someone tell me in a professional, non-confrontational and tactful way.

    And the day started out so beautifully... I can't believe I wasted make-up or cab fare on that asshole.

    Back to square zero. But at least I don't have to write a thank you letter.

    eXTReMe Tracker