• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Tuesday, October 03, 2006

    Made-up words

    Growing up, my brothers and I used words that we all understood -- but then learned as an adult that these words were actually not real, find-'em-in-the-dictionary words. Nor were they foreign words or even babytalk. They were simply made-up, words that we created because we didn't have the vocabulary we needed. But we all understood them.

    I found out when I was living in Japan that my roommate (who is American and grew up in Rochester, NY) also had a few made-up family words. We discovered this when she used one of them in a conversation and the other two of us (who shared a house together) just stared at her with a "Huh?" expression on our faces. We didn't understand her, and she didn't until just that moment know that the word she had used didn't actually exist. Her mother had made it up.

    So here are the two "words" made up by my family and my friend's mother. Can you guess what they mean?

    GLUNK

    BITEY

    Best definition gets... everlasting fame and a gold star?

    eXTReMe Tracker