• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Wednesday, March 29, 2006

    Look before you grab?

    I'm talking about answering the phone. But even if you look, it may not help...

    Here's why. I think we all know about spoofing when it comes to email and spam, but this piece describes a new menace to privacy: websites which sell the "service" of masking/changing the phone number which is displayed on caller ID. Basically, someone can buy the service to pretend to be someone else calling, get past filters on the caller ID or to mask his/her identity completely. One site even advertises that it facilitates "100 percent anonymous prank calls". Sounds like an easy way to harassment.

    Yikes.

    Apparently these sites are being investigated, according to wired.com.

    I wonder what law would apply? Some interpretation of antiquated wiretapping laws? A fraud statute? I dunno, but even if it's not illegal, it's disturbing how these site have proliferated and are marketing themselves for less than legitimate purposes.

    eXTReMe Tracker