• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Wednesday, January 11, 2006

    Not a math major

    After getting my first grade in for last semester (my last semester of law school), I am not only compulsively checking my grades, but I have calculated every single possible scenario affecting my GPA. This is it for me and law school. These classes determine what my final, graduating GPA will be.

    Ya' see, with this one grade in, I still have two out. One is a three-credit course and one is a two-credit course. The two-crediter was pass/fail. The way the system works at my school, if I pass with an A- or higher (the grade I designated), it counts towards my GPA. If it's lower than that but still passing, it won't count against my GPA. The school does this to provide us with incentive to take classes outside of our comfort zone by giving us a safety net (protecting our GPAs). This way, we can take classes which may stretch our experience without fear of pummeling our averages -- but only for up to 6 credits during our law school careers and not for any required courses. I took two tax classes this way. The most recent one this past semester? I think I was the only JD student in the class. The rest were LLM students. Thank goodness for the pass/fail option!

    But I digress. Anyway, basically, I did the math for what effect a B-, B or B+ would have against my existing 78 credits of law school. I didn't bother with a C/C+ or an A/A- because I don't think my performance on the exam was in those particular ranges.

    And I figured out which grades will allow me to make Dean's List this year and which will take me out of or firmly install me in the running for graduating with honors.

    Obsessive? Fixated on detail? Outcome-oriented? Oh yea. No question. Fairly typical law student. But believe it or not, I was never a gunner in school. Just obsessive/compulsive about certain things.

    Like grades. But ironically enough, not studying.

    eXTReMe Tracker