• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Monday, January 09, 2006

    A gift

    I got my first grade back today. It was the 4-credit course, the exam which I had thought that I had completely, utterly and hopelessly tanked. This exam was so tough that I was shaking my head in complete distain for my answers during the exam. Even I couldn't believe the crap I was writing. I was really depressed after that exam...

    I don't have a clue how this happened, but as it turns out, I actually got a grade which helps my GPA rather than taking it down a notch. I am gleeful. I am joyous. I am overwhelmed. I am incredulous. Yayayayayayayayayayay!

    This grade, however, is just further evidence of the capriciousness of law school. That exam was so bad that I would have believed that I had written "C"-worthy essays. Turns out, thank goodness, that I didn't. But as my friend told me, that's what hard exams are for -- to set up a curve: if everyone does well, it makes it harder to distinguish between the grades.

    I cannot explain the relief I feel, but this news just about made my week. The other grades almost don't matter because this was my only 4 credit class. YAY!

    UPDATE (1/10): So, I went back and re-read my exam (the electronic copy I have on my computer), and I was surprised at what I wrote. More insight than I had remembered and more coherent legal/policy arguments than I had realized. One of the questions was on the area of law that I knew the least, so... I guess I felt so overwhelmed during the exam, so anxious and wanting to do better that I gave myself short shrift. I guess it was so traumatic that I blocked it out of my mind. All I can say is "Phew!" and cross my fingers that I did half as well on my other exam.

    eXTReMe Tracker