• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Tuesday, December 20, 2005

    To boldly go...

    Life imitating art? Science fiction predicting the future? Back to the future?

    Yup.

    The other day in the airport, I swear I saw Lt. Uhura... no, not the actress Nichelle Nichols. It was actually just some guy in a baseball cap.

    The thing was, he had a bluetooth headpiece attached to his ear, and it stuck out -- and looked just like communications earpiece that Lt. Uhura used in Star Trek. The similarity was so striking that it actually made my head snap -- not that I haven't seen the bluetooth things before -- it's just that this particular one was so Uhura-like...

    I shouldn't be surprised. We already have the "communicators" (a.k.a. clamshell cell phones). The internet isn't far off from the omniscient computer on the Enterprise. Now only if I could beam myself to somewhere warm!

    eXTReMe Tracker