• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Saturday, November 19, 2005

    Strike three

    Sharing the metro ride home after class this week, I ran into one of my fellow evening students. There aren't too many of us left now that I'm a fourth year; many of them defected to the day program and graduated. Anyway, when I asked how things were going, how his wife was, etc., he told me that he wasn't with his wife anymore. This was a bit of a shock because they were planning the wedding during the spring finals of our first year. Well, apparently, she deserted him shortly thereafter and ran off to the tropics with a younger guy. It sounds like he was married mere weeks before he was unceremoniously dumped. Poor guy. He thinks she just couldn't handle the long hours he was putting in -- working and in school. Apparently, she fell for him when he was a garage band rocker and wasn't interested in being married to a lawyer (or law student).

    This is the third divorce among my fellow students during law school that I know of. And I think all three were a result of the stress of law school. Two were women and this guy. So sad. I can't imagine adding the stress of the disintegration of a marriage on top of law school. I am so impressed by how they handled it all and themselves. I don't know if I could do it.

    On the flip side, I know three men who have had their second child during our reign as students, and one more who is expecting his first. (No women, go figure!) There is also at least one couple getting married, having met in law school and many others who didn't have a long-term relationship entering school and never had the time to cultivate one either. File me in that category.

    Sad that the collateral damage of school is so high. My metro friend is quite sanguine about the whole thing now that he has some distance between then and now. And he also learned a lot -- not only about himself and his (ex-) wife, but also about divorce law. He did the divorce himself (with the supervision of an attorney). Who needs a clinic or a journal if you can say you did your own divorce as a student? I'm sure he would have preferred a clinic rather than the pain of the split... but he seems to be doing okay now. Definitely her loss.

    eXTReMe Tracker