• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Thursday, December 01, 2005

    Size does matter

    Now, having worked for both a large law firm and a small one, I can say with confidence that size does matter.

    There are some obvious and immediate differences. Larger firms have greater resources -- which translates to a better salary, support staff, swag and nice lunches. Smaller firms tend to operate more like non-profit organizations, always hustling to make sure the rent is paid.

    Understandable differences for obvious reasons.

    But there's one difference I've found between large/small which I had not anticipated. In the large firm, there seems to be an assumption of ascencion -- that is, they treat the summer associates like lawyers. My experience in the smaller firm is that law students are treated more like legal assistants.

    Now, this difference may be one of "summer associate" v. regular employee (as a law clerk), but I don't think so. It's more likely a function of expectations and resources. The large firm knows you're going to be a lawyer and treats you like one. They have the luxury of assuming the future. The small firm knows you're a law student and treats you like one. There's no assumptions about what's down the road. Gross generalizations, I know. But this has been my experience.

    And while the work and the politics at my current small firm are more to my liking, I loved my window office with a view in the large firm. Now I work in an evidence storage room. I kid you not. It's. downright. depressing.

    Good thing the work and the people are great. I guess it's always going to be a tradeoff.

    eXTReMe Tracker