• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Friday, January 06, 2006

    One of my classmates

    One of my law school classmates will be not be graduating until 2008. Huh? He did indeed start with us in 2002 in the evening section with the ordinary trajectory of a four-year tour of duty, but in addition to having a second child during law school, he also had a major detour. He was a major (now a lt. colonel) in the Army, and he was also deployed to Iraq for a year during our third year of school.

    His name is Grant. And Grant is someone that EVERYONE in our section knew. It wasn't just his uniform -- because we have lots of servicemembers among our classmates. It wasn't just his age -- because there were quite a few of us within a few years of 40. It wasn't just his outspokenness -- because we all know that law school attracts the gunners and loud-mouths. It was his truly unique perspective and insight that made him stand out. A really interesting, thoughtful guy.

    This is the perspective he brought in a Washington Post editorial.

    As I told him in an email, "Grant, you rock."

    UPDATE (1/12): So, because of my link to Grant's piece "I'm a Soldier, not a Spy", my blog is now listed in the Washington Post's trackback. Kinda ironic. For the record, I am neither a soldier nor a spy.

    eXTReMe Tracker