• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Thursday, January 12, 2006

    Looking back

    Using my 20/20 hindsight on law school, I am very pleased to say that there aren't too many thing which I would have done differently had I known then what I know now. Of course, there are the few -- very few -- classes that I wish I had NOT taken (mainly because of the professor), and the student organizations and activities (like moot court) that I wish I had had more time for, but all in all, I'm good. I still would not have transferred to the day program to get it all over with more quickly. I would not have joined a journal. I would not have changed my decision to quit my full time (real) job to try out the summer associate thing. I am very glad that I did these things, even if some of them did not turn out as I had expected.

    Heck, that's life, right? I learned along the way, and enjoyed the journey.There's a great deal of satisfaction in knowing that.

    There is, however, one thing that I do wish I could have done -- and would have changed if I were to do it all again: a clinic. I never had -- no, I never MADE the opportunity to participate in a clinic and get that real, in your face, somebody's butt is on the line legal services experience. My school offers a number of clinics that would have been really great to try, but I never did work it into my schedule (for various reasons), and I wish I had. Everything that I have heard from friends who are doing them now only reinforces my regret (albeit only a slight one).

    So that's one thing I missed in law school. Not a huge deal, but a missed opportunity. I guess I can always volunteer at a clinic down the line.

    A coupla' things I learned? Never take a class with an adjunct who is a partner in a busy firm. Such profs often make their teaching activities a lower priority than their obligations to their clients (not all, but mine did). Another thing: get to know one or two profs as people, on an individual basis. This is good not only for career reasons but I have also found that law profs can be among the most interesting folks to have a coffee/beer with. Advice given to me by others? Keep in touch with the friends that stick with you through law school. You'll have a lasting connection with them that is unlike other experiences.

    This is going to sound slightly sick, but in some ways, I already miss law school!

    eXTReMe Tracker