• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Wednesday, August 10, 2005

    Why my pack is heavy

    I'm a good backpacker. I can travel very, very light. I did 5 weeks in the Middle East with a bag the size of a medium carry-on. Of course, it's easier when you're going to hot weather and need less clothes (except in Muslim countries, where women should cover up out of respect). Chile will be cooler, in late winter, so that makes for heavier clothes. Plus, I think I'll need to be a bit more stylish than my usual backpacking gear, which tends to make me look like a kid.

    Anyway, my pack is pretty big right now, partially because it's coming out of winter in Chile and partially because I'm bringing lots of stuff for my friend. I remember what it was like living in Japan and not being able to get familiar foods, spices, books in English, shoes that fit, etc. So, here's what I'm bringing for her.

    She asked for:
    a duvet cover & catalogue from Ikea
    turmeric
    coconut milk
    travel books
    Spanish dictionary/verb book
    Sept. Vogue (not out yet; gonna try to get it at the airport)
    Starbucks coffee
    any extra novels I have laying around

    Gifties from me for her:
    easy Mac & Cheese ('cuz sometimes you just need comfort food)
    more spices
    sauces/marinades
    more books
    + birthday presents for her (she just turned 40)

    It may be heavy, but she's my sista! Besides, that leaves more room for my purchases coming back. I'll do my best to prop up the global economy, even if I am unemployed.

    Heh.

    eXTReMe Tracker