• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Friday, July 29, 2005

    Oh my f***ing gawd

    I just received a summons for jury duty -- a minor disruption of the ordinary routine usually, but not in this case. This is a summons for grand jury. That means that I am required to report every day to the court for a period of 25 work days, starting in October and running through early December.

    Omigawd. So much for my final semester of law school.

    Okay, breathe, breathe. It says that one can defer duty once... BUT if one defers, then one is required to provide a date during which one is available to serve. Okay, that's no problem.

    The problem is that the postponement date must be within 90 days of the original date of service.

    I'm supposed to take the February bar. February 21 and 22 are more than 90 days after the October start date.

    Omigawd, omigawd.

    If they don't let me push jury duty back until March, I can't take the February bar. My law career -- and my employment prospects -- will be pushed back until July.

    Holy shit. I am trying not to panic, but this makes me want to cry. Plus, I can't call the court until Monday to beg my case of really, really, extreme mitigating circumstances. And honestly, I'm not expecting sympathy.

    Realistically speaking, this will not only defer my law career, but it could have set me back thousands of $$ (had I signed up for the bar review courses already).

    I'm quietly (or perhaps not so quietly) freaking out here. It's enough to make me want to move temporarily so they can't get a hold of me. Hmmm... maybe I will. Seriously, maybe I will.

    eXTReMe Tracker