• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Saturday, July 23, 2005

    Done, done, done and gone

    Chop. Twin ponytails, each about a foot long, are in a ziplock baggie to be shipped off to Locks of Love. I took off about 15-20 inches (after the styling, that is), and my head is much, much lighter. I can actually feel my hair move in a way that I haven't in a quite a while.

    Outcome? Some good hair for kids. Less conditioner usage for me. As for the haircut, I'm not sure how much I love it, but I do like it well enough. Kinda looks like "The Rachel", circa early Friends. Not so thrilled about that. I wanted that haircut ten years ago; ironic that I'd get it now. I think it has too many layers and is a bit shorter than I wanted, but no worries. It will grow out very quickly. It always does. Props to the salon for supporting me and LOL. The folks there were really friendly and fun.

    More interesting than my hair, however, was what I learned to, from and at the salon.

    At the salon, during regular "The weather sure is hot" chitchat, the girl who washed my hair and I were discussing this really violent and loud storm that crashed through here last night. I asked her if it woke her up ('cuz it did me), but she said she was out at that time. The storm hit around 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning, but contrary to what one might immediately assume (that she was out clubbing), she was in fact out working on her internship doing outreach activities for sex workers. She's doing a MA in public policy and women's studies at George Washington University (one of my alma maters) with a special focus on LGBT issues. Her internship involves working with a local non-profit to counsel sex workers, do health testing and generally hand out condoms and whatnot, between midnight and 5:00 am. She told me where in town the sex workers plied their trade, and that each area was known for a specific type of prostitute -- hetero women, boys and trannies -- and that the profession was highly segregated. She also told me that most of the sex workers are black women. Not many Latinas or Asians or white women, for that matter. Even the trans- sex workers are black. The conversation was really interesting, and I can't tell you how impressed I was with her dedication AND the university for offering tht kind of program.

    On the other side of the conversational spectrum -- the guy who cut my hair, well his interests were different, but they also made for an engaging discussion. He is a self-described 24-year old gay man who is obsessed (his words, not mine) with Hello Kitty. This is a fad that I saw come and go when I was about 7, but I do understand that there are many adults who just worship her. Mr. haircut man said he owned it all -- steeringwheel cover, cell phone holder, you name it -- and also told me that it had gotten to the point where his boyfriend had banned the shower curtain and some of the other paraphrenalia because he just couldn't stand all the stuff. Too funny. I told him that Mademoiselle Kitty was older than he was and where there were a few stores specializing in the sales of that brand. Not news to him. I couldn't tell him anything Hello Kitty that he didn't already know.

    In addition to the salon chat, I found myself entertained by some of my observations on my walk back and forth from my office (yup, I'm at work on a Saturday):
    * There seems to be a new trend in clear, plastic backpacks like this one. I saw more than a few of them in a short time period, and I have to admit that I won't be participating in this fad. I just don't get it.
    * Most amusing bumpersticker -- this may be old, but it's the first time for me to see it.
    * Gorgeous, gorgeous stargazer lilies. That made me smile for a least a block.
    * A woman with her pooch in a pouch - ya' know, like a baby sling but with beast instead? I thought that was a New York city thing.
    * Other stuff which I made a mental note to describe, but I lost the note.

    And now I'm in my office, pooped. But I gotta get some work done or I'm in it deep.

    Ugh.

    eXTReMe Tracker