• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Wednesday, August 10, 2005

    Running around

    I'm off to Chile this afternoon. Since it's such a long haul North-South but not East-West, it's an overnight flight each way but no time difference. I've been running around these past days getting everything together for the trip and haven't had a chance to post about...

    my last days at work.
    my "lessons learned" from 10 weeks as a summer associate
    what I really think about the whole experience
    etc.

    I also haven't had time to really mentally process the fact that I'm off to South America today. Usually, I'm a bit of a planner, but this time... nothing. I bought my ticket with only two weeks' advance, so I'm lucky that I'll have clean laundry (which yes, I am doing right now). I have a friend working in Valparaiso, which is supposed to be a really beautiful city, so I've left a lot of the planning to her. All I know is when I get there (tomorrow morning), that she's supposed to be meeting me at the airport (which is so generous and such a treat for me!), that Americans pay $100 to get into the country (ouch!) and that we are going to Easter Island at some point.

    By the time I get back, here are are few things I should know more about:

    my pre-class reading
    whether or not I'll get an offer from my summer firm
    whether or not I'll be able to find part-time work this fall
    if the men in Chile are as handsome as I expect them to be.

    I did find out that I can defer jury duty or have it changed from grand to petit jury because I'm a student. Thank gawd for that. And thanks for the reader who gave me that tip. I also bought several of my case books for this fall already because DC has a tax amnesty week for "back to school" stuff -- up to $100 per purchase. Well, as you probably know, that doesn't get you very much when it comes to law books. This last purchase was a first for me -- the first time I paid more than $100 for a USED book. Sheesh, that hurts. But, it is the prof's book, so I guess he is working to maximize those royalties... at the expense, literally, of his students.

    So, I hope to post more from Sud America. Fingers crosses for a safe and hassle-free journey!

    eXTReMe Tracker