• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Wednesday, May 30, 2007

    A day of firsts...

    First morning with hot water. Need I elaborate?

    First full commute to work. An easy 15-minute walk to a 20-odd-minute metro ride, which is only slightly longer than before. I enjoyed the walk because the first half is through our neighborhood, and the second half has lots of interesting little mom-n-pop-type shops. I saw a Filipino bakery, an Italian sweets and meats shop, various kinds of Latin food, a tattoo parlor, Asian restaurants, an adult video store, and much, much more. Talk about diversity!

    First day to leave Gidget alone in the house. We have the family room set up for her -- her bed and crate are in there. Plus, the room is carpeted (the only one in the whole house), well air-conditioned and has a comfy sofa that she's allowed to climb on. She can also look out the sliding glass doors to the yard and out the French doors into the kitchen. We plan to install a doggy door so that she can get out into the yard during the day, and hopefully it won't take her too, too long to learn how to use it. When we tried to teach her the other day, she just didn't get it.

    First day of vacation for SM. He took off for Puerto Rico this morning. The chief of staff in his office is getting married on Saturday, so he took a few extra days for rest and relaxation (at my encouragement). He'll be gone through the weekend. It's a well-earned break for him; he's been running overtime to the point of physical and mental exhaustion with these moves for over a month now. He's been such a trooper. Much better than I was by a long shot. I hope he gets the chance to unwind, do some reading and just veg out on the beach.

    So that means, first day/night for me in the house with only Gidget. Eh, not worried about it.

    And, hopefully, this is the first day that I'll be able to get down into my basement. The guys who are working on it are almost done with everything -- but they've thought that they were almost done for the past four days. We'll see. But I think, truly, they will be out tonight. Yay!

    I'm really starting to enjoy the house, even though it's still a maze of boxes. The family room is our haven from the chaos. There aren't any towers of boxes in there, and we have the TV and internet connected for proper loafing on the sofa. Our bedroom is also box-free. The rest of the house... awaits unpacking. I hope to make significant and visible progress this week so that SM can come back to a relatively accessible home. I'm not holding my breath that I'll accomplish a whole lot, but a little lot would be fine.

    Labels:

    eXTReMe Tracker