• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Monday, January 22, 2007

    Office politics...

    So today is the anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision, in recognition of which, many bloggers are blogging for choice, but it is also being commemorated with the "Right to Life" march on the Mall.

    Another attorney in my office just mentioned the march to me -- since it's going on now -- and that led to a quick office discussion about the march. A few folks put on coats and went out. But I don't know if they were just getting their lunches or joining the crowd to march. I found myself quite perturbed that I couldn't tell which side of the debate they are on. Eeek. I guess I'm just too used to hanging with like-minded folks (coming from a civil rights career).

    Don't get me wrong, I fully believe that everyone is free to their own views and opinions. Perhaps it's best that I don't know which side of the debate they support? This is, after all, a work environment, and I think that discussion would be inappropriate here.

    But, if anyone reading this hasn't figured it out, I am most definitely a pro-choice kinda gal. I believe that all people have a right to self-determination, autonomy, privacy and control over their bodies. If a woman chooses to terminate a pregnancy, then I trust that she has made the right decision for herself. Ditto if she decides to have the baby or give it up for adoption. I would not want her to impose her personal decision on another woman, and I do not trust the government to make that decision for her.

    As an aside, I'd like to ask some of the hardliners -- how can you be "pro-life" and also support the death penalty? Why are you against big government when it comes to taxes and regulatory measures but you'll have the government interfere with such a personal choice as this? Why is it that the states with the most stringent controls over access to abortions provide so little welfare support for single mothers?

    So, there you have it.

    BTW, I once saw a sign being carried by a man at a DC rally (back when I was in college) which read:
    Men who don't support a woman's right to choose should f*ck themselves!
    Uh-huh.

    Labels: , ,

    eXTReMe Tracker