• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Tuesday, December 12, 2006

    Literary theme meme

    Snagged from Betty Joan because, as she says, reading is FUNdamental. And because I started a book club last year here in DC (check out what we've read so far on the left sidebar).

    1) One book that changed your life?
    Gosh, that's hard. BARBRI prep books? I honestly don't know, and I don't think I have an answer.

    2) One book you have read more than once?
    My memory isn't good enough to answer this... but I do seem to recall that I have read Amy Tan's The Kitchen God's Wife more than once. I don't have any books that I re-read every year.

    3) One book you would want on a desert island?
    Something really, really long. Or something that I could keep reading over and over and learn new things each time. A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth? I would add that to answer #9 below except that I'm saving it for the next time I'm stranded on a desert island.

    4) One book that made you cry?
    Most recently, The Known World by Edward P. Jones. Not the whole thing, but there's one incident in the book that really, really upset me.

    5) One book that made you laugh?
    Hmmm, many books have evoked a giggle or even a guffaw. Name one? Yikes. Bridget Jones' Diary? Because, yeah, that's my sense of humor.

    6) One book you wish had been written?
    A "how-to" book for the democrats, instructing them on how to control the story and the spin. Ya' know, like the republicans do so well. But if you mean literature, I am no where near literate enough to know all that has been out there and know all that has been written. That means that anything I name here may very well have been written already, so I'll have to take a pass on this one.

    7) One book you wish had never been written?
    Anything by Ann Coulter or Michele Malkin. Take your pick (not that they qualify as literature).

    8) One book you are reading currently?
    Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. (See sidebar about my book club.)

    9) One book you have been meaning to read?
    Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. Haven't gotten through it yet. The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. And so. many. more.

    Labels: ,

    eXTReMe Tracker