• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Saturday, September 16, 2006

    On evil envelopes...

    So I got another evil envelope this past week. I was expecting it -- because I would have received a call weeks ago if the news was otherwise -- but it's still a bummer to actually get the news in writing.

    But this time, the evil envelope didn't so much bum me out instead of piss me off.

    Yes, I was pissed off.

    Why?

    This fellowship was a civil rights litigation fellowship with a firm that does mostly employment law. Sounds perfect, right? These are my exact areas. Well, they told me in the "thanks but no thanks" letter that while [insert trite language here about my wonderful qualities], they hired a candidate with more experience than I had.

    More experience?!?! WTF?

    This was an entry-level fellowship. ENTRY-LEVEL. How is anyone supposed to get any lawyering experience if you can't get an entry-level job fellowship because they hire someone else because that person has more experience?

    Okay, okay, I know some of you are probably thinking that the "experience" explanation is just an excuse to mask something else. And maybe you're right.

    Meanwhile, I did get out more resumes this week. And the temp agent told me that my resume -- in form, style and content -- looked excellent. So, at least I know my first impression is a professional one. It's my second impression that is a problem apparently...

    eXTReMe Tracker