• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Sunday, February 19, 2006

    A wedding dilemma

    So I got an invitation to the wedding of one of my college roommates the other day. Very exciting stuff because this is a woman who has had maybe two boyfriends her entire life (present fiance not included), and it's fairly clear to all who know her that she wants a family. She's a fantastic aunt, well-established in her career but kind of a social wallflower. I am thrilled for her that she's in love and getting married.

    Here's the conundrum for me: the invitation appears to be for me alone. No "and guest".

    Okay, I can deal with that. It's definitely the couple's prerogative to decide who they want to invite to share their special day, although I am a bit miffed that she never asked if I had a serious "other" in my life whom I'd like to bring. But on top of that, I just found out that my other college roommate (the three of us lived in an apartment) does not appear to have been invited at all. It may be true that her invitation may just be delayed -- but if college roommie #2 and her husband were not invited, then I will not know a soul at this wedding other than the bride and her family (and barely her family). In other words, I'll be completely alone.

    This may sound selfish, but I just don't know how much I want to go to an out-of-state wedding where I won't know a soul and can't bring anyone as a date. It's almost as bad as the high school friend of mine who asked me to run around and get her marriage license for her because she was out-of-state (but her parents were local -- go figure) and then invited me explicitly without a guest (meaning that she clarified that the invitation was without guest) to her wedding. At least there, I knew one or two other people, and she did eventually realize how tacky that was and extended the invitation to my guest.

    I don't want to be snotty about this, nor do I want to do anything to pressure college roommie to extend the invitation to a date. But I also don't want to travel from out-of-state for a wedding where I won't know anyone, can't bring a date and most likely won't have anyone to talk to during the reception.

    Am I completely outta line here? I know the wedding is all about her and not me, but I just don't know how much I'd enjoy myself alone...

    Do I need to just get over myself?

    eXTReMe Tracker