• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Wednesday, February 08, 2006

    Dang it

    Don't you just hate when you remember a mnemonic but not what the heck it stands for?!?!?! I have a number of mnemonics for the bar, but remembering the mnemonics and not the underlying law is worthless. Last night, I couldn't for the life of me remember what this meant:

    L --> L
    E --> E

    Okay, simple enough to remember, but if you don't know what it applies to then it's useless, useless! Grrrr. All of last night, I was plagued by this to the point of extreme irritation and self-beration. Today, I figured it out. PHEW!

    It pertains to the difference between possession and custody for property crimes, which is a very fine distinction for control relative to taking things that don't belong to you. Dullsville, I know -- but very necessary for the bar.

    Low level employees (usually have authorization only for custody of goods of their employer) --> larceny
    Executive level employees (usually have authorization for possession of goods of their employer) --> embezzlement

    L --> L
    E --> E

    Simple enough... if you can remember it.

    Sheesh.

    eXTReMe Tracker