• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Monday, February 06, 2006

    One last thing to procrastinate

    I got tagged by an email pyramid scheme that I actually forwarded. Usually when I get stupid messages and wishes (often from my mother), I read and delete them. If they are particularly annoying, I don't even read through them.

    My roommate from college sent me one that I decided to try. From what I've heard, this has been going around a while. Maybe I got it before but didn't read it. Either way, it will be interesting to see what I get back.

    These were the instructions:
    This is a recipe exchange chain... Please send a recipe to the person whose name is listed in the number 1 position below -- preferably something quick, easy, few ingredients (and bcc me on it, so I can get your recipe too!). Then copy this letter into a new email, move my name to the number 1 position, and put your name in the number 2 position. Only your name and mine should appear in this list when you send out your email. Send this to 10 friends and as your friends forward this around, you should get some interesting recipes back.

    If you cannot do this within 5 days, please let me know. You should receive at least 36 recipes (more if you send it to more friends). It is fun to see where these recipes come from. Seldom does anyone drop out because there's nothing at stake. The turn around is fast because only 2 names are on the list.

    Tag, you're it!
    Here is the recipe I forwarded:
    Sake miso and ginger marinade/glaze

    This works well as a marinade (2 to 6 hours in the fridge covered) for chicken, beef or fish (salmon or a white fish). Try it also with scallops, other seafood as a glaze.

    1/4 c. sake (Japanese rice wine, available in most grocery stores)
    1/4 c. mirin (Japanese cooking sake, also available in most large grocery stores or an Asian market)
    1/3 c. white miso (Japanese fermented bean paste, ditto above for availability)
    2 Tbls. sugar
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 Tbls. fresh grated ginger
    1/4 c. green onions, finely chopped

    1. Bring the sake and mirin to a boil in a medium saucepan and reduce to a simmer.
    2. Add the miso paste (make sure it's the white paste, not the darker stuff or else it will be too salty) and the sugar, whisking constantly to dissolve.
    3. Remove from heat and add garlic, ginger and green onions to the mixture.
    4. Stir to combine. Let sit until room temperature before using.

    Yield: 1 cup marinade (enough for 4 chicken breasts or 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. of chicken, beef or seafood).

    Use as glaze over chicken, etc. and bake or barbeque or marinade.
    So far, I've received one quiche recipe from a friend... and I'll bet that my mom forwards this!

    eXTReMe Tracker