• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Monday, January 23, 2006

    The end of a political era

    NBC announced that it has decided to cancel The West Wing next season because of declining viewership. Too bad. It was the only progressive administration around, and even if it's fiction, I don't mind living in a fantasy world for an hour a week.

    But some say The West Wing already jumped the shark, and I agree to some degree. I mean, really, how many administrations have to deal with losing a VP to scandal, the president's daughter being kidnapped, an assassination attempt, nuclear disaster, internal leaks of classified material, unplanned pregnancy, etc., etc.? That just kinda screams "Hollywood!" (although come to think of it... hmmm, attack on NYC/WDC, invasion of Afghanistan/Iraq, VP with serious heart problems, daughters drinking underage, internal leaks of classified material...)

    Anyway, it was a bit much, so maybe after the upteenth crisis, it jumped. But I still generally liked the writing and the characters. After Aaron Sorkin left, the show definitely lost its edge, but I thought, at least recently, it had started to regain some of its former timing and momentum. It certainly didn't hurt to have a cutie like Jimmy Smits added as a regular character (the irony here being that he played the first Latino presidential candidate while Martin Sheen, a Latino himself, played an Anglo president).

    And even though some of the story lines were over the top, I do very much like that it was based in historical fact, e.g., President Josiah "Jed" Bartlet (yes, only one "T" at the end) was supposedly descended from Founding Father Josiah Bartlett from New Hampshire. And the show often pulls from real life events -- so maybe that's why it's compelling?

    However, seven years is a long run for any administration, and I guess with the passing of John Spencer, the issues became insurmountable.

    Any bets on how the writers deal with John Spencer's death? My guess? I wouldn't be suprised if Leo McGarry dies in an airplane crash while out on the campaign trail.

    eXTReMe Tracker