• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Wednesday, January 18, 2006

    And I thought DC politicians were surreal

    I've always thought that a doctoral dissertation in public relations was in order to analyze Mayor/Councilman Marion Barry's political career. He is, after all, the chameleon of DC politics -- from grassroots activist and SNCC leader, to button-down stuffed shirt corporate executive officer to ethnic man of the people and friend of the underworld, hustlers and the like. Those who were paying attention -- either due to outrage or the fact of being a constitutent -- will remember his conviction for cocaine use ("The bitch set me up!"), being caught "in the act" in jail, graft, re-election as mayor despite the aforementioned, allegations of tax evasion, more cocaine use, etc., etc. He is, by the way, still serving as councilmember for ward 8 and unquestionably a man of unending persistence and belief in himself (one might even say "ego").

    Ah, what fun. The soap opera writers could take a page from his story.

    I've always thought that Mr. Barry alone made DC politics the be-all and end-all of electoral news from the weird, but there is no accounting for taste... which naturally brings California to mind. California, of course, has the distinction of having elected not one but two otherwise only lightly (and that's being generous) qualified actors-cum-politicians as governor (not to mention a few as mayor and at least one as a Member of Congress). Some may say that being a good actor is the best qualification for being a good politican. If only they all had been good actors...

    And Minnesota. The land of Governor Jesse "the bod" Ventura. What can you say about his unabashed political experience... as a Navy Seal, actor and professional wrestler? I have to admit that I don't know enough about MN politics to know how his constitutents feel/felt about him, but enough folks liked him enough to elect him. If nothing else, he was certainly a breath of fresh air. No b.s. about the man. And he probably saved the taxpayers some money in bodyguards' salaries...

    But that was just the beginning, nay a warm-up, for the MN electorate. Here's one to take the "David Duke award for excellence in politics" -- Mr. Jonathon "The Impaler" Sharkey, candidate for Governor of Minnesota, 2006.

    I don't know if he's exactly qualified or electable; that's up to the MN folks (and I'm guessing that they aren't buying, at least according to Scooter). I do know he... how shall I say this?... knows how to grab headlines, in a "I can't help but stare at the traffic accident" kinda way. While I don't adhere to his religious practices, I do believe in the First Amendment free exercise guarantees -- and I'll say this for him: Mr. Sharkey certainly facilitates discussions of the good and evil in politics today.

    P.S. I don't want to sound like I'm giving MN politicians short shrift, so let me add to this post that one of my all-time favorite pols is from MN. No, not Paul Wellstone or Walter Mondale. Both incredibly accomplished and admirable men. But the pol I'm thinking of is a woman, an attorney, a mother, and a damned smart all of the above -- her name is Mee Moua, and she is State Senator from St. Paul. I am fortunate to know Mee personally, and she is an inspiration. Truly. She is the only -- and I mean only -- politician who ever got me to write a check then and there to support her campaign after hearing her speak the first time. And that's saying a lot for this jaded inside-the-beltway gal. She's amazing on so many levels and is truly a credit to her community.

    eXTReMe Tracker