• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Thursday, August 28, 2008

    Olympic afterthoughts

    Having had the opportunity to watch a ton of the Olympics because SM and I weren't at work for a week, I saw a number of sports that I didn't know existed, let alone exist at a competitive level for the Olympics. Like trampoline gymnastics... like dual synchronized swimming...

    And it got me wondering what it takes for a sport to be considered as an Olympic event...?

    I don't know. I'm sure I could google it. But at the very least, I would think that it needs to be international in nature with competitors from a diverse number of countries. So when SM asked me if sumo was or could be an Olympic sport, I told him I doubted it because it's not competed outside of Japan (although there are non-Japanese wrestlers in Japan).

    But what about rugby? Is that an Olympic event? If motocross bike racing qualifies for the Olympics, then rugby must surely. I'm guessing that all sorts of "extreme sports" will become Olympic events in the near future. And what about bar games? What distinguishes a sport from a game? Like archery (an Olympic event) v. darts (I don't know if it's an Olympic event)...? Hard to distinguish why one would be and the other wouldn't. Or bowling?

    But what I really want to know is when will dodgeball make it to the Olympics? That is, if it hasn't already.

    Labels: , ,

    eXTReMe Tracker