• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Saturday, July 19, 2008

    Well, that was weird.

    So I've been attending a convention all week. That's why I've been so quiet. I'm not at my desk, or any desk.

    I'm here at this convention because I sit on the board of the organization convening. I am not their legal counsel, but I also happen to be the only other lawyer on the board. That doesn't count for anything in reality, but well, in practice, it makes a difference.

    So yesterday, there was a question of statutory interpretation. As it turns out, I was on the committee under whose jurisdiction the question fell. Legal counsel was examining the question, and she asked for my opinion (which I have never been shy to share). I took a look at the text in question, and when I looked up, I saw something like a dozen people staring intently at me, waiting for my answer.

    Because they wanted to hear and actually valued and respected my opinion.

    Whoa.

    I totally did a double-take. Ya' mean, someone actually takes me seriously?

    Yeah, I guess so.

    Whoa.

    Labels: , ,

    eXTReMe Tracker