• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Friday, March 23, 2007

    Best and the brightest.

    Tonight, I attended the KAC-DC (Korean American Coalition, DC Chapter) gala dinner. They honored a number of prominent businesses and Jun Choi, the first Korean American directly elected as mayor of an American city. In this case, Edison, NJ. I spoke with him briefly and was surprised at how young he looked -- and actually is, 35. A really nice, dedicated guy.

    But I have to say that the most kewl thing was meeting Yul Kwon of Survivor fame. And Becky Lee too. Both were the nicest, most down-to-earth folks you'll ever meet. Very normal and gracious. I was so impressed with them personally and with their messages of contributing to your community.

    And when I introduced myself to Becky to tell her that her speech was really important -- she discussed how she used the show as a platform to bring domestic violence issues into the spotlight to further the dialogue and also create positive images of Asian Americans on television -- she told me that she remembered me.

    Wa-haaat?

    The KAC DC office shared space in suite with my former office, and she remembered seeing me there.

    Who knew?

    Well, Becky did.

    Really, I was so impressed with those two. It's clear that they are both going to use their celebrity from their Survivor stints in the interests of public service.

    It's also clear that those two will go on to do many more fantastic things. Kewl.

    Labels: ,

    eXTReMe Tracker