• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Wednesday, February 07, 2007

    Only in DC

    Well, I blogged about how TV sometimes dictates the ebbs and flows of our social lives. Today I found an article called "So Washington: Nine readers share memories of moments that sure as heck wouldn't have happened in Muncie" in the WaPo.

    Having lived in DC for quite a while and having worked in the legislative-advocacy arena, I've had a few of my own DC moments...

    Running into two members of Congress (one of whom was SM's former boss) eating Chinese with Al Franken. I effusively thanked one Congressman for his support on a piece of legislation that was important to my organization -- and pretty much ignored Mr. Franken. Now, that's DC for you.

    I have seen George Stephanopolous on a date (this was quite a while ago). I have been hit on by elected officials (no, not Bill). I saw the senators (in this case, Joe Lieberman and Jim Jeffords, along with Tim Russert) at the home opening Nats game when baseball came back to DC.

    But I have to say that my really, really DC moment was during the Clinton administration. I had a number of friends who worked in the White House. As you may know, the White House has box seats in the various theaters around town, including the Kennedy Center. Well, the prez and first L don't often use those tickets, so they are made available to staff. My friend thought I'd be interested in one particular performance and got tickets for me. I don't know who else we were sitting with (because the box has probably a dozen or more seats), but I do remember two things: one raiding the minibar for snacks. (C'mon, no shocked looks from you guys -- I assure you that everyone does it.) I snagged several boxes of M-n-ms (ya' know, with the Presidential seal on it?) but decided not to avail myself of the mini bottles of champagne and beer. After all, I don't drink but I do eat chocolate (although I didn't eat these). Two, I used the bathroom there. And while I was making use of the facilities, I remember thinking "Hillary Clinton has peed here."

    That's my "only in DC" story.

    Labels: ,

    eXTReMe Tracker