• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Thursday, February 22, 2007

    Bookmark -- to read later

    Article in the NYT: Korean Men Use Brokers to Find Brides in Vietnam

    Interesting confluence of social, economic and cultural interests at play. Sounds like it might be a similar phenomenon as Japanese farmers (men) looking to China and the Philippines for wives. Sadly, the situation is rife with potential landmines for the couple. The women, especially, are vulnerable (language issues, limited legal rights, access to money, social isolation, etc.).

    To an American, this may sound like a really bad idea, but I wonder if it works in Asia where marriages are viewed more as social, not emotional, contracts? I guess it will take time to tell.

    Labels:

    eXTReMe Tracker