• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Wednesday, January 31, 2007

    She says... debunked

    Thanks to the faithful who had enough curiosity to guess at my Monday meme. I heart you all.

    To refresh everyones' memories, here are the statements I threw out there:
    1. I read every Harry Potter book as soon as it comes out.
    2. I got my ears pierced when I was 7, after begging my mother incessantly until she caved.
    3. I have climbed up the stairs and walked around the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
    4. I have met President Clinton but not President Bush.
    5. I didn't start drinking coffee until after college.
    And, as promised, here is the answer... the one that no one picked as the lie is truthfully the untruth.

    In other words, #1 is not true. I do read the Harry Potter books, but I always wait until the paperback edition comes out (they're hefty enough in paperback -- who can lug around the hardcovers?). And even then, I don't get to them right away. In fact, I still have #5 (HP and the Order of the Phoenix) and #6 (HP and the Half-Blood Prince) on my bookshelf, unfinished. I started #5 (good catch, Scooter) but I haven't yet finished it. Coincidentally (or not!), these were the two books that came out while I was in law school.

    Did putting the lie first in the line-up mess with everything you've been told about multiple-guess quizzies?

    #2 -- piercing my ears. I absolutely begged my mother to get my ears pierced, and she made me wait until I was 7. I think she was worried that I was too young, and kinda afraid herself. She didn't have pierced ears -- and it took until my father bought her diamond and emerald earrings (pierced, of course) for her to do it. I was a veteran by that time ... it was probably 4 or so years after I had mine done. I still have some of my first earrings. I was given some dangling ones early on after the piercing, but my mom didn't want me wearing dangling earrings (sports, etc.), so I never wore them and hence, never lost them. They feature Snoopy dressed in colonial garb to celebrate the bicentennial. Yup. 1976. Styling, eh?

    #3 -- Leaning Tower of Pisa. Sorry guys, but yes I have walked up the stairs and around the outside of the upper storeys of the Leaning Tower of Pisa. And it was really scary because the stone was worn slick and smooth and that angle had me wondering if I would slide off the side. There weren't railings. I was hugging the wall of the Tower. Back flat against it. And I'm not afraid of heights. But that lean was mean. This was in 1989. I understand that the LToP closed to the public in 1990 for stabilization and re-opened in 2001. I hope there are railings now.

    #4 -- met the Prez. I had the opportunity to meet Prez. Clinton on several occasions in my former job. He even complimented me on a pin I was wearing once -- which was very nice but then made me immediately think "What was he doing looking at my chest?" (this was immediately after the Monica scandal...). But it was pretty cool to get a nice compliment from the most powerful man in the world. And, everything they say about Clinton's charisma is 1000% correct. The man is riveting. It's unbelievable. I have never met anyone who had magnetism anywhere approaching what Mr. Bill has. As for W., no, I have not had the opportunity to meet him. He must know I'm not a fan, which is why I don't get the invites or the holiday Christmas cards. If I did get the chance, though, yes, I would go for the photo-op with him (but I wouldn't put it on display).

    #5 -- coffee after college. I was a tea-drinker until I lived in Japan. In fact, I couldn't stand even the smell of coffee back then. Sounds backwards, doesn't it since Japan is a tea-drinking country? Well, when I lived in Japan, people would invite me to dinner and because I'm American, many assumed that I would want coffee. I guess Americans have a reputation as coffee-drinkers (and this was pre-Starbucks empire). Because coffee is ridiculously expensive in Japan (as is everything, but coffee especially so), I didn't want to offend anyone or be wasteful, so I drank it. With tons of sugar and milk. And I was hooked. My teeth rot just thinking about how sweet I used to take my coffee. Eeeuw. I was weaned off of the sugar about ten years ago, and now I take my java with milk only. But I still drink tea, too. I swing both ways on that.

    So there ya' have it, Ladies and Gents. Nothing too exciting. Just another glimpse into the chaos of She says.

    Thanks for tuning in!

    Labels: ,

    eXTReMe Tracker