• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Sunday, December 24, 2006

    On the holidays

    What better way to celebrate the holidays than to sit on my ass and play online? Well, yeah, I'm doing that too, but I thought I'd also learn a little more about some traditions and the history behind the holidays, especially the ones I don't observe.

    Stuff I didn't know...
  • Christmas word origins

  • Hanukkah word origins

  • Background on Winter Solstice celebrations -- as distinct from the Pontiac Solstice, not a Native American celebration but rather a very jazzy roadster. Click here to send a Solstice e-card

  • Kwanzaa (from the official Kwanzaa site, mind you!)

  • Festivus (another made-up holiday... I wonder which has more adherents, Kwanzaa or Festivus? Hmmmm...)

  • information about other December celebrations


  • Of course, this list leaves out Boxing Day and the New Year's celebrations (both January 1st and the Lunar New Year). More on that in February. And remind me to tell you about the uniquely Japanese "holiday" of White Day (and no, unlike what someone once suggested, it did not originate in apartheid South Africa) in March.

    Off to mom's as soon as I finish here.

    Happy Hols everyone!

    Labels: , ,

    eXTReMe Tracker