• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Tuesday, December 19, 2006

    Partial success

    Well, I tried to post to this blog from my office during the day, but I goofed. It was partially published but not really. I just fixed it now. Oh well. Maybe it will work tomorrow.

    So, I'm through my second (wahoo) day of work. Some observations:
    1. I'm finally earning more money than I'm spending. No, I'm not making that much (this is the federal government, after all), but I'm also not online engaging in retail therapy all day. Yay!
    2. This is an office where my boss actually does not want me to be there more than 8 hours. She's a stickler about arriving on time in the morning but also about leaving in the evening. Seriously, she wants us all out after 8 hours. Today, the place was empty at 6:00. That's just plain unreal for me and definitely a first.
    3. If I squint my eyes, my boss has a really disturbing resemblance to my mother. It's freaky.
    4. The office uses the blue legal database, and I'm very pleased about that because I prefer it to the other one (that's for you, Scooter).
    5. I'm already getting involved in real work. Next week, I sit in on a mediation. Tres cool!
    6. My boss introduces me around the place as the "new attorney", and everyone cheers at hearing that. It's bizarre. (The cheering isn't for me personally, but rather that the job has been filled. My predecessor was gone from the office for six months and then gave notice so the work has been piling up.)
    7. It's also really bizarre being introduced as "the new attorney" -- who? Me? Oh yeah. I haven't gotten used to the monniker yet.
    8. I'm finding out that people in the office do actually have personalities, which is good to know. It might be a fun place to work after all.
    9. I still haven't figured out what is the best commuting route or mode of transportation from my place to the office. I'll be experimenting with that this and next week. But, bonus, I get a commuting subsidy. Score!
    10. Everyone dresses up on this office, so I'm hopeful that I can gradually scale back from wearing suits and just wear nice pants and sweaters. And pearls. Because pearls dress up everything.
    11. And finally, it feels really REALLY good to be gainfully employed and a productive (?) member of society again. I don't feel like a complete loser anymore. I can't wait for my first paycheck.

    Yay!

    Labels: ,

    eXTReMe Tracker