• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Sunday, December 17, 2006

    Rachael Ray's fudge?

    Yes, but it came from the back of a can of sweetened condensed milk (which Rachael herself readily admits). In fact, it was on the can that I just bought. But Rachael gets credit for the millions of women who now know about it (and are going to make it) because they watch her show or saw her on Oprah.

    Including me. I made it. Because it looked so easy that I wondered if it would be any good.

    You know what? For the 30 seconds it took me to make, it was definitely worth the effort.

    Here's Rachael's version, and below is what the can said. It's the same recipe.

    3 c. chocolate morsels (use whatever flavor you prefer)
    1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
    1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
    salt, if needed

    Melt chocolate and sweetened condensed milk over low heat in heavy saucepan. Stir. Add extract (and nuts or raisins or whatever else you want to add). When all of the chocolate has melted, dump the mixture into pan and cool in the refrigerator until solid (about an hour).

    Yup, that easy. The longest part of this process was measuring the chocolate, which took all of ten seconds. In fact, this is one of the only recipes I know of where it actually takes longer to EAT the food than prepare it.

    And yeah, you can make it all fancy and decorated like Rachael Ray suggests, but in my house, it's the eatin' that counts (ohhh, my Japanese ancestors just rolled over in their graves that I suggested that the presentation of food is less important... good thing that fudge isn't exactly Japanese cuisine).

    Labels:

    eXTReMe Tracker