• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Friday, November 24, 2006

    Our little hot water bottle

    I have a snoring Gidget squished up next to me, between me and the back cushions on the sofa, with her leg flopped over my stomach.

    She is pretty frickin' darned cute.

    And she sleeps a whole lot. Which she's doing right now... as well as snoring and twitching like mad. Must be quite a dream!

    But the longer we have her, the more we realize how lucky we are. She has never peed or pooped inside, despite being left alone as long as 12 hours on occasion. She only chews her Kong (a toy) or her bully stick, never shoes or furniture. She rarely barks and when she does, it's for good reason (like a stranger entering the house without being let in). She's incredibly affectionate but not in the "like lick your face" kinda way, which I don't like; she's a snuggler. And best of all, she lets us sleep in on the weekends! She usually gets a pre-work walk around 6:00 am, but on the weekends, she always lets us sleep in until we're ready to get up -- as late as 10:00 (4 hours past her regular time).

    Yes, we're very lucky.

    We took her to meet my mom and brother yesterday, to get her used to riding in the car as well as to see how she'd do in a new environment and introduce her to the family. Plus, I'll admit that I was hoping they'd like her enough to be willing to take care of her when we're outta town.

    It was fun to watch her check out the new digs. She had to visit every room to sniff around and make sure things were up to snuff. She was never nervous or anxious, just curious. And she settled in pretty quickly, snuggling herself up to my brother on the couch and claiming his stomach as her pillow.

    And it was particularly interesting to watch how she behaved around strangers. She was fine with my mom and bro, probably because we introduced her to them. But when my mother's boarder (that is, the woman who rents out a space in my mother's house) came home, the Gidge was not happy. She heard her come in the front door (which was not visible from where we were), and Gidget started barking. Not much, but a few times. Then she went looking for the person that she had smelled and heard but not seen. She went upstairs to find the person and downstairs and in the other rooms and was very concerned and anxious because she knew someone was there but couldn't find that person. And she wouldn't settle down.

    So when the woman came in again, we took Gidget down to introduce her. And once Gidget sniffed her (with me there to reassure her), she was fine. She didn't bark at her again and visibly settled.

    Interesting that Gidget got so territorial and protective at my mom's house, a place she had never visited before. I guess our little girl defines home as where "her people" are.

    We're so lucky to have adopted such a sweet girl.

    Now if only she didn't smell poochy! But maybe that's part of her charm? Or not. Either way, she's family.

    eXTReMe Tracker