• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Sunday, November 05, 2006

    Cookie blogging

    Okay, I know you're sick of reading my posts today. I've definitely been blabbling (= blogging + babbling) all day/evening. In an effort to stay the boredom of earlier today (actually, I was procrastinating doing some cleaning), I made cookies.

    This is the second time I've made these cookies, and they were just as easy and just as good this time around so I feel confident in this recommendation. I first made them for my book club where they got rave reviews*.

    So here is one of the easiest cookie recipes ever.

    Vanilla Butter Cookies
    1 c. butter
    1 c. sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla extract (I used the real, organic stuff -- and it really makes a difference in the taste)
    2 c. all-purpose flour, sifted
    dash salt
    1 tsp. baking powder
    blanched almond halves

    Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy (note: handmixing is fine). Sift together flour, salt and baking powder. Add dry ingredients into butter mixture gradually and stir until well-blended.

    Shape the dough into small balls and place on ungreased cookie sheets. Press an almond half into the top of each ball and bake at 300 degrees (preheated oven) for 20-22 minutes or until just lightly browned. Makes 4-5 dozen cookies.

    Note: I halved this recipe, and it works out very well.


    *I was busy the day of the book club and thought I'd just go out and buy some cookies or other yummies to bring for dessert. But then I realized that it would take a chunk of time to drive to the store and come back (and I didn't know of any stores on the way to the club venue), so I figured that it would be faster if I could just find an uber-easy recipe and make them at home while I did other stuff. (I'm a multitasking kinda gal!) That is, if I could find a recipe with very limited ingredients and simple instructions...

    Which I did. And they came out very well.

    Also, for book club, we're reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides for December (originally it was going to be for November, but we kept pushing it back). I'm about 1/3 into it, so and I really like the author's writing style. And so far, the story is quite compelling.

    eXTReMe Tracker