• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Sunday, November 05, 2006

    Lawyer schmoyer

    So on Tuesday, I'm going with SM (stands for "sweet man" not "sad0mas0chistic" or anything else, you pervs) to help out at the polls. He's a precinct chair for the democratic party, and I'm unemployed. Works out great.

    Plus, I live in DC so my vote counts. for. nothing. Truly nothing. Eleanor Holmes Norton doesn't get a vote on floor of the House, only a committee vote. Hopefully, a shift in power will also result in a shift in the rules back to allowing EHN and all the other "delegates" (from places like DC, Guam, the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and American Samoa -- ya' know, where we "quasi-Americans" live) a vote on amendments to legislation ("committee of the whole House"). Unless something else were to change, that's all they'd get -- committee votes but not on final passage. Considering my taxes are among the highest in the nation, can I tell you how much that SUCKS!?! The republicans restricted the delegates' votes to votes in committee vote because of the five delegates, four are democrats (Puerto Rico being the "one of those things not like the other"... but I bet you're not surprised, eh?). I am still not represented fully in the House and not at all in the Senate but a shift because to a democratic majority is a step towards democracy (a representative democracy where folks like me actually have representation). Not there yet. Probably won't ever get there, either.

    But I digress... shocking!

    My point was that I'll be at the polls in MD for much of Tuesday (I'll vote in the evening in DC). SM welcomes my company because after the morning rush, the middle of the day is pretty deadly dull. Also, he says if the republican precinct chair gets uppity at him, he's going to pull out the attorney card and let the other guy know that he brought a lawyer with him to the polling place.

    Who? Me?

    Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I had better practice my snooty, over-educated smirk.

    eXTReMe Tracker