• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Monday, October 23, 2006

    Well, throw me a shoehorn and call me "Imelda"

    But I am very excited to learn that I am getting this for a present. My love for shoes + my small apartment + my habit, developed while living in Japan, of removing my shoes at the door = shoes scattered everywhere.

    I've been looking for a cool shoe cabinet, and this is the first nice (read: not cheap particle board or shoddy construction) one I've found. I'd love, LOVE to find an authentic Japanese shoe cabinet, but fat chance... But this one, I like-ee, like-ee!

    In Japan, shoe cabinets are regularly used at home and at school. Shoes are not worn inside the home and there are lots of rules for where slippers can be worn. For example, the Japanese wear special bathroom slippers (only worn in the bathroom) and they take off their shoes when trying on clothes in dressing rooms... They also have "indoor" shoes (usually for offices, schools or the gymnasium but not homes) that are never worn outside, and the average person is putting on and taking off his/her shoes much more often there than here.

    Bottom line: you just don't wanna have any holes in your socks, ever.

    eXTReMe Tracker