• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Friday, October 20, 2006

    "It's my party, and I'll lie if I want to, lie if I want to..."

    You know your campaign is in trouble when your own party doesn't believe you and is calling for you to drop out of the race.

    Tan Nguyen, a Vietnamese American challenger to Loretta Sanchez (D) for the 47th District in California, is now under investigation for implementing dirty tactics to keep democrats away from the polls next month.

    His campaign sent this letter, which is in Spanish, to Latino voters telling them that if they are an immigrant, voting could result in jail time.

    Now, my Spanish isn't that good, so I'll have to rely on the reports on this one, but if the letter simply told them that immigrants (as opposed to non-citizens) can't vote , then it's voter intimidation -- and really dispicable considering that Nguyen himself is probably a refugee and definitely an immigrant himself.

    And here's the kicker:
    Nguyen, a Republican, said Thursday that a campaign worker helped put out the letter without his knowledge and that she had been fired. He called the letter, which targeted immigrant voters, "flawed and ill-conceived."

    But Orange County Republican Party Chairman Scott Baugh didn't believe Nguyen's denial and continued to call for him to bow out of the race.

    "I've learned that Mr. Nguyen was involved in expediting that mailer," Baugh said. "I've had conversations with the attorney general and folks involved with the mail house. He called the mail house himself and told them to expedite the mailing."
    Props to the OC Republican Party Chair for trying to salvage some integrity in this race. But isn't Nguyen just a tool? What a stand-up kinda guy! Admitting that his campaign did it in the face of overwhelming evidence and then blaming some poor staffer... Doesn't he remember the old adage "the buck stops here"?

    Oh wait, that's right... a democrat said that.

    eXTReMe Tracker