• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Wednesday, August 02, 2006

    Help me, I'm melting...

    Okay, so I'm not quite the Wicked Witch of the West, but damn if it ain't hot. Heat index of 108 here. Wilting Washington. Eeeks. What a day to be interviewing for jobs.

    Morning: took a cab to the firm. Normally I would have walked -- but the combination of the crazy weather, heels and a suit put me in a cab for what would have been about a 20 minute walk in other circumstances. I spoke with 4 folks at the firm (ahem, that would be all of the lawyers there) for 2-1/2 hours. I really enjoyed speaking to the two partners and felt we had a good rapport. The other two attorneys were interesting as well, but we didn't quite "click" the same way. I liked the place, and I think they liked me. And the work sounds good -- and a good opportunity for me to learn.

    So what had been an "ehh" job prospect is now something much more exciting.

    Afternoon: then I took another cab to job interview number two. This one was on the Hill. I met a friend for lunch there. We chatted. We ate. He splashed tomato sauce all over my shirt.

    Lovely. Just friggin' great. What a nice accessory to go with my top for my interview.

    Fortunately, I had had my laptop open, which took the brunt of the splat. Still, I got two good blobs on my boobs. I dabbed it off (but, how much does tomato sauce really come out of anything?), and made sure my jacket was pulled closed. Grrr. Not the greatest start to interview number #2.

    But it went well. The interviewer asked a number of tough policy questions. Eeeeek. I think I fielded then well enough, but who the heck knows? We chatted for about 45 minutes, which is pretty good for a first Hill interview... I think? I didn't have the same click with him as I did during the earlier interviews, and frankly, my substantial knowledge set is probably not as good as some of the other candidates. But I think a number of my other skills, experience and contacts were quite good. Again, who knows... I didn't blow it, but I don't know if I'll get a second interview. But then again, I always knew I was a long-shot for this job. Getting the interview in the first place was something of a personal coup for me.

    So, I've got a coupla good possibilities in the air. Need to keep getting the resumes out though (which I've been slacking off on doing).

    Fingers crossed.

    And no more suits this week. Yay.

    P.S. Jami reports that fries are French again in the Capitol (or so says the WaTimes, according to MSNBC), but I gotta tell ya' that they were still "Freedom Fries" in the Rayburn cafeteria when I was there today. And the whole thing is just plain stupid, if you ask me.

    eXTReMe Tracker