• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Tuesday, July 25, 2006

    Who knew?

    It is actually possible to learn something from daytime TV... I did!

    I was watching listening to a TV show that I'm too embarrassed to admit was on (in the background!), and I learned that, historically, Jews with tattoos are not permitted to be buried in Jewish cemetaries.

    Who knew? And who knew I could learn something from daytime TV?

    Well, I suppose that lots of folks knew the former, although maybe not the latter. So, I googled away and found out that Leviticus 19:28 proscribes orthodox followers from permanently marking or cutting their skin -- so no piercings or tattoos.

    But as this thread points out, what about circumcision? Well, actually, the text prohibits cuts in the flesh for the dead -- which means no ritual cutting in mourning-- so piercings are actually permissible, but tattoos and other markings remain verboten.

    Now I'm off to the library to engage my brain.

    eXTReMe Tracker