• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Saturday, July 08, 2006

    A great word

    Zaftig.

    A friend at work was telling the story of how she saw BBC coverage of the the World Cup, and a few British news announcers and commentators were discussing various players, describing one of them as being "zaftig". My friend said they should have just called him "chunky" because zaftig just sounds too nice.

    I agree. It does sound so much better than "chunky" -- particularly since it's obscure enough to confuse.

    Zaftig, yeah... that's the ticket.

    And on a slightly related note, can you ever imagine an American sports commentator -- someone like, oh, Terry Bradshaw or Howie Long -- describing William "Refrigerator" Perry as "zaftig"...?

    Heh. Hardly.

    eXTReMe Tracker