• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Wednesday, June 28, 2006

    What a load of crap

    Yesterday, the Senate defeated the flag burning amendment by one vote.

    What a ridiculous waste of time this whole issue has been. So much for the high political ideals of lawmaking, debate and consideration. This was petty political pandering, plain and simple. And I don't believe a word that has come out of Orrin Hatch's mouth about this. As the amendment's chief sponsor, Hatch (R-Utah), "disputed assertions that the measure was politically motivated and was an unwise use of the Senate's time in the face of war in Iraq, high gasoline prices and a growing federal deficit."

    Yah, right.

    Or that "Fifty state legislatures have called on us to pass this amendment," Hatch told colleagues.

    I don't think so. I can't see the Hawai`i or California or Maryland legislatures doing that (even though, admittedly, I haven't done the research).

    And it must have really pissed him off that his fellow senator from Utah (as well as member of the Church of the Latter Day Saints), Bob Bennett, was one of the three Republicans who failed to launch this over the 2/3rds bar.

    I'm with Senator Inouye on this one:
    Flag burning "is obscene, painful and unpatriotic," Sen. Daniel K. Inouye (D-Hawaii), who lost an arm in World War II, said in a floor speech yesterday. "But I believe Americans gave their lives in the many wars to make certain that all Americans have a right to express themselves -- even those who harbor hateful thoughts."
    I mean, a flag is a beautiful piece of symbolism, no doubt. But aren't the ideals -- such as freedom of speech -- that are represented by that flag more important to protect than a piece of cloth?

    Check here to see whether or not your senators get it.

    eXTReMe Tracker