• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Tuesday, June 27, 2006

    Okay, so I'm slow in picking this up

    Nationwide Class of BAR/BRI Bar Review Customers Certified

    Let me tell you, based on my experience, the bar review course game is a complete racket. Ever wonder what happened to the little guys? Ya' know, the small companies which do state-specific bar reviews? Well... the Walmart of bar review courses, Barbri came to town. And now it's pretty much the only game in town. The Barbri fees are definitely more than they need to be. Can you say "monopoly"?

    So, I think this case has merit (sounding like a lawyer... but wait, I am!).

    The article says:
    The suit, filed in May 2005 by former law students in California, Michigan and Louisiana, accuses defendant West Publishing Corp., d/b/a BAR/BRI of violating the federal antitrust laws and conspiring with defendant Kaplan, Inc. to prevent competition in the market for full-service bar review courses...

    Plaintiffs allege that, as a result of defendants' conduct, consumers had to pay more for BAR/BRI bar review courses than they should have.
    Sounds about right. And, hmm... come to think of it, I don't think that Barbri teaches about class actions in their civ pro sessions.

    eXTReMe Tracker