• about me
  • also me
  • email me: dicta (dot) chick (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Monday, June 26, 2006

    From desert to deluge

    One extreme to another.

    It's not raining now (although it's supposed to later), so I'm wondering how we can have almost 100% humidity? You know what I said earlier about not caring that the desert was dry heat? Well, I was just being snarky about the triple-digit temperatures. It does make a huge difference.

    Yesterday, my suitcase was delivered at baggage claim soaking wet, all the way through. The clothes packed on top took the brunt of it but were sopping -- so much so that I could have wrung them out and probably had half a cup of water. Thank goodness I was on my way home and that was dirty laundry, not on my way to DC for a business trip. That would have been truly a joy. My dad's house and garage got flooded out (welcome home, dad!), which was particularly bad news for my sister who just moved her stuff back from New York last week and had been storing it in the garage (no time to unpack... so much for her clothes, bed, etc.!). Folks at the office had wild commutes -- like an evil version of "Planes, Trains and Automobiles". Since the commuter train lines were down, they had to either drive or take the metro or bus. Well, the beltway (major commuting route) was closed (holy cow, countless thousands are screwed) and several metro stops were flooded resulting in single-tracking, over-crowding, and intense back-ups affecting the whole system. Ugly.

    A co-worker of mine told me a man and a woman almost started throwing punches on the metro over space -- or lack there of. And downtown traffic, normally no picnic on a Monday anyway, was just horrendous today. This, despite the fact that many folks are telecommuting because they can't get in. Except one co-worker who I heard was walking to work. That's one thing if it's just across town, but I think she lives about 10 miles out. I guess I'm just not that dedicated to the job!

    So, the morning has already been quite an adventure! Fortunately for me, no trees fell on my car this time nor did I have to worry about a leaky basement or my cable going out (because I have neither).

    I guess Mother Nature is really pissed off at us; she even felled a tree at the White House. And it's supposed to rain more later. Fun, fun. Torrents of fun.

    eXTReMe Tracker